Thursday, July 23, 2015

Things in the Works

Artomatic may be doing an event this October -- in the wilds of Maryland. Should this take place, I hope to turn up with a small installation and/or to read something from my novel, the Gamma Draft of which is currently tormenting me full-time.

You can help (with the installation, not the novel) by donating old scissors or shears of any kind, hardshell suitcases, a little red wagon and/or a dissecting table (table or wagon could be returned intact at the end).

Meanwhile and unrelatedly, here is a beautiful project Bxiie has in the works: Build Sculpture for ECO-Visions. To help Bxiie out, see details at the link.

More on these and other adventures as they develop.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Paper Pirates

I've been out of touch but with good reason.  I'm really busy building several outdoor somethings for Sculpturefest, a show in Woodstock, Vermont, that starts the weekend after next.  I also have some 3D work going on, a new PVC piece in progress, and am working on the concept for another outdoor piece for Ecovisions, another outdoor show in Woodstock starting in September.  

On Saturday, June 13, Rabid and I attended the Paper Pirates event in Brooklyn.  

The premise is fun; interested people send up to four photos then go to the party.  At the party, everyone looks at the pictures.  When the signal is given, everyone grabs a photo or photos that they like to take home.

Two weeks ago, I sent Paper Pirates four pictures; three of sculptural stuff and one of my friend, Scott Slagle, DJing.

The party was in an event space.  It was kind of busy.  The below picture is not mine; it is by Paper Pirates and from their Facebook page here.

There were a lot of pictures; maybe two hundred. 

The first cool thing that happened was right as we entered.  The event was sponsored by 'Stolen Rum' and the various social media ads had stated that rum would be on offer.  Well, the bar only had beer.  That was fine, really, though I had been building an interest in having a sniff of rum.  So I ordered a beer for Rabid and one for myself (not too expensive; $4 each) and asked about the rum.  The bartender said that they were only serving beer.  I told the bartender that we had come down from Vermont expressly for the rum.  He looked as though he was at a loss for a moment and then gave me both beers and wouldn't accept any cash.  Thank you!

Rabid and I wandered around and looked at pictures.  

Along the way, we found three of my pictures; one in the above shot and two in the below.

We realized that the Slagle DJ picture was not on one of the walls.  I got this weird sinking feeling.  Why would they put up my other three pictures but not that one?

We took another walk around the room and both saw the Slagle picture at the same time...  It was by itself on the front of the DJ booth!

Wow!  I felt honored to have my picture set off all by itself.

After a bit, Rabid and I tracked down Tim, one of the Paper Pirates guys, and I thanked him for the placement.  He remembered that my picture had come with three sculpture shots and we momentarily discussed the broad scope of what I do.  He had to move along but he warned us that the picture stealing would occur in the next fifteen minutes or so.  We went and staked out images that we liked.

After a bit, the DJ announced that the pictures could be removed.  I took the understated WTC image shown above (I am remiss by not knowing the name of the photographer yet but I will update this post as soon as I figure it out).

The DJ took the Slagle shot.

One of my images was abandoned.  It was sort of a default picture and I agree that I could have selected a better one.  After the comped beer and the Slagle placement, I was perfectly fine with my lonely lame picture being left on the wall.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Friday, May 1, 2015

First May Friday

Sorry for the late notice but White River Junction, Vermont, is the host of a First Friday arts event this evening.  I have two pieces in the Upper Valley Zen Center benefit show.

More details here;

'White River Junction...  It's not so bad!'  Awesome.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

New code for the old book

Today I walked to the park by way of two Little Free Libraries, sharing Filth's surplus copies of The Yiddish Policemen's Union and Geek Love, which latter volume has acquired new coding on the back...

Then I headed down to Klingle Gulch...

Monday, April 13, 2015

Back in the Studio

 Yesterday was a lovely day in southern Vermont.  I spent some time cleaning up after the winter and then got down to serious work; airing out the studio and getting ready for art production season.  Really, it's two seasons; one from now until the mosquitos become thick enough to preclude working and then the second from when I get desperate enough to wear DEET in the studio until the weather gets cold enough that paint doesn't dry properly.

I set up the furnace.  I added some reflectors to direct the heat up and away from the ground and cinderblocks.  This turns out to make a huge difference; instead of taking fifteen or twenty minutes for 1/4" PVC to get warm enough to work with, it takes less than five.  It's actually too efficient and I'm not totally sure if I will keep using the reflectors.

I made an armature.  This is PVC tubes, chicken wire, and popsicle sticks.  

I taped up some PVC.

I cut some PVC.  The '31' refers to the number of cuts to be made.

 I also fiddled with some twigs and devices from last year.  I like how this came out.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Where We Are Broken

Dental cast, tulle, feathers, cut-up photograph (DJH by Scott Church), molded acrylic, notebook panel, sigil, doily, lace, dye, paint, water-damaged bathroom sign, found rusty hook.